Corey Manke is a Balboa and Swing dancer from Nashville, Tennessee. While Lindy Hop was his first passion, he was reluctantly talked into taking a balboa private lesson in 2004 where he was told that balboa was his dance, whether he knew it or not. After scoffing at that comment, he soon discovered that balboa was indeed a natural fit for him and quickly became his true dance love in 2005. That’s when the great Willie Desatoff took him aside and said, “You got it, don’t ever stop dancing. Just remember; finesse, finesse, finesse”. That interaction with Willie deeply inspired Corey to take balboa seriously. He has spent over a decade studying all aspects of the dance with many international instructors. Known for his comfy and smooth pure bal, along with a “classic” feel, he is particularly drawn to the aesthetic, connection and feel of the original dancers. Corey is able to replicate as many as 8 original balboa leads. He strives to implement these elements into his own dance style and reference these dancers when teaching in order to preserve the original dancers’ contribution to the dance floor.
Corey has been:
– An Instructor at All Balboa Weekend, Bal-Ast Off, California Balboa Classic, Eastern Balboa Championships, Minor Swing and invited to teach at other regional, national and international events
– A participant of The Balboa Experiment every year since 2010
– An Experiment Guest Mentor, awarded “Honorary Fellow,” and “Distinguished Fellow”
– Competition placements at All Balboa Weekend, Bal-Ast Off and are regular finalists in several International level competitions
– A competition Judge at All Balboa Weekend, Bal-Ast Off, California Balboa Classic, Eastern Balboa Championships, Southern Swing Challenge and many other smaller events.